Our Teach in South Africa Program combines TEFL teaching with the incredible experience of being a volunteer in disadvantaged communities. After completing your 120 Hour TEFL course, you will join and live with a group of volunteers from around the world for four weeks near sunny Port Elizabeth. Your time will be spent teaching a wide range of students in local classrooms, assisting with sports, dance, homework programs and much more. This is truly a once in a lifetime adventure. You will form deep bonds with the people around you, share incredible moments with locals, colleagues, students and program coordinators, explore a region that is less traveled, broaden your own horizons, all while helping to make the world a better place.
Why Choose to Go With a TEFL Volunteer Internship?
No Degree Required
Many TEFL positions will request either a 4 year degree, or multiple years of teaching experience. A MyTefl Internship allows you to teach immediately, and build up your resume.
No Teaching Experience Required
All you need is our TEFL and a positive attitude; we’ll provide the rest.
Work & Play With Other Interns From Around the World
You’ll complete in country orientations and often placements with other like-minded individuals, meaning lots of shared fun, excitement, adventures and lifelong friendships.
Simple and Safe
MyTefl does all the work, guiding you and ensuring you are in good hands every step of the way. Our teams on the ground pick you up directly from the airport, provide safe accommodation options, provide thorough orientation, and are there for 24/7 support. Placement schools are screened to ensure they meet the safety and quality standards of our programs. No hassles!
About the TEFL Volunteer Program
- 1 month volunteer program
- Online and in-class TEFL Training
- No degree required
- Full salaried position
- Amazing cultural experiences!
- 120 Hour TEFL Course – Accredited TEFL certificate recognized worldwide
- Hands On Training – Real teaching experience that employers love to see
- Accommodation – Full accommodations provided during orientation
- Transportation – Daily private transportation to and from the volunteer location
- Donation – $150 from the program fee is directly donated to the project
- Complete your 120 Hour Online TEFL course
- Make sure your vaccines are up to date
- Purchase insurance
- Purchase a plane ticket
- Pack your bags!
Tasks vary according to the time of the year, and volunteers are able to choose from a combination of different programs to fit specific needs, as well as provide some challenge and diversity.
Some tasks include:
- Afterschool Homework Program
Dance & Theater Programs (for fun!)
Teaching in one of 2 primary schools
Teaching and managing at a preschool
Transportation is provided to and from the volunteer house on a daily basis.
The program coordinators often organize weekend excursions, trips and activities which you may join (at an extra cost). You are also welcome to explore by yourself and with other volunteers evenings and weekends!
You will be provided with a certificate and recommendations from the project directors in appreciation of the work and support you have provided the community.
Many volunteers choose to continue travelling in South Africa once they have completed their program. Our local team on the ground is extremely helpful and friendly, and can assist you with your travel plans.
You will have likely developed bonds with the people you have selflessly helped and worked with that go beyond the ordinary. Cherish the moments and memories!
- 120 Hour Online TEFL course
- Pre-departure preparation assistance
- Airport pickup & transfers from Port Elizabeth
- All accommodations & meals
- City tour & orientation program
- Transportation to & from project sites
- $150 donation to the project community
- 24/7 on the ground assistance in S. Africa
- A positive attitude
- A desire to help
- An open mind
- Strong English skills
- Medical insurance