Earn an introductory TEFL certificate and learn the theory behind teaching English as a Foreign Language. The 40-Hour Basic TEFL/TESOL course provides introductory certification in teaching English to speakers of other languages, making it a good choice for prospective teachers seeking either minimal certification or a foundation for more advanced certification.
This affordable course meets TEFL requirements for some entry-level teaching jobs and can easily be upgraded to 60, 100, or 120 hours of certification at any time.
When you graduate the 40-Hour Basic TEFL Certificate course, you’ll be able to:
- Categorize historic and current language instructional methodologies such as Communicative Language Teaching, Audio-lingual Method, and the Direct Method.
- Identify the characteristics of effective classroom instructions, error corrections, and strategies for effectively prompting students and/or eliciting information from them.
- Categorize and give examples of classroom strategies for teaching English and its language skills: speaking, writing, reading, and listening.
- Apply student techniques to language learning through metacognitive strategies to promote student autonomy and success.
- Identify some current placement, achievement, and proficiency tests for English language learners and explain the reasons for testing English language learners.
- Apply appropriate terminology to discuss culture’s impact, such as ethnocentrism, culture shock, country shock, enculturation, and deep surface culture and how it affects the English language classroom and teacher.
- Module 1: The Role of the Teacher and Learner and Language Learning Methodology
- Module 2: Classroom Management
- Module 3: Language Systems and Skills, and a Brief History of English
- Module 4: Acquiring a New Language
- Module 5: Testing for the EFL/ESL Student
- Module 6: Culture and the EFL/ESL Classroom
Job Advising Modules
- Module 1: Finding a Job, Downloading Your Certificate, and Updating Your Resume
- Module 2: Stay Connected with Bridge!
- Module 3: TEFL/TESOL Professional Development Opportunities
Requirements to take this course
- 18 years of age
- An intermediate or higher level of English proficiency (B1 level, according to the CEFR, the Common European Framework Reference for Language)
100% Online: Start anytime and work from any device.
Personal tutor: Get feedback and ask questions throughout the course.
Flexible schedule: Work at your own pace- complete in 3 months or less.
Interactive content: Instructional videos, downloadable resources, quizzes & activities, and discussion board.
Certificate of completion: Verifiable by employers.
Job placement assistance: Access our global job network via the BridgeTEFL Job Board and get matched with preferred employer partners through Bridge TEFLConnection.
Upgrade anytime: Start with the 40-hour Basic Certificate and upgrade to the 60-hour Educator, 100-hour Professional or 120-hour Master Certificate at any time.